Thursday, April 22, 2010

Big Bend walk

Our neighbor invited us on a woodland walk today, down a dirt road just about five miles South of our house. The ferns and wildflowers were remarkable! Let me just say ahead of time that I really tried to be selective with these pictures; I left out pictures of trillium, more ferns, Canada violets, wild columbine, bluebells and other flowers I haven't even identified yet. There were so many plants to see and know and learn about!

Jack-in-the-pulpit



An exquisitely delicate fern that I don't know the name of. Whorls around in a crown like the maidenhair, but different. ID anyone?
Fiddlehead
Bloodroot leaf

Ella holding the picked stem with "blood" oozing out




Flower of the wild ginger




And my absolute FAVORITE! I only just became acquainted with the fruit of this tree last Summer. Here are the amazing flowers of a PAW PAW!

3 comments:

  1. You have an amazing eye, these photos are beautiful and I love the PAW PAW! TH
    hank you again Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the wonder of it all
    Your photos are so Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!!!!! These photos are award-winning, superific! I love the way the light is shining through the blood root leaf. Can you eat the paw-paw fruits? In the fall, I guess? I just found a recipe for "sassy tassies" (like tea time tassies made with sassafrass. I also found a recipe for Sumac pie....so much to try!!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete